Thursday, March 19, 2015

Obsessing over gear

Its seriously keeping me up at night...   Back pack, No back pack, how much food to take, how much water? 

The Stagecoach 400 is only One Week Away!

Ive been riding my Kokopelli Warthog around town and hitting the local trails fully loaded down.  Its a brand new bike, Brand new drive train, and brand new carbon rims I laced myself.  

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost confidence in my mechanical ability,  But its a damn long way to go on fresh un-tested equipment.

Im shooting for under 50lbs for all gear including bike,  and its gonna be close.  Me at 175lbs makes that total weight 225lbs, which, by the way is the "recommended max weight limit" for my Carbon Dooby wheels.  Nervous?  No Way.  (ha ha)

My ultimate goal is to have no back pack, 4 bottles of water,  and enough food to go at least 50miles in the heat.

The basic breakdown is this. . .

Water for 50 miles in the hot desert.

Gotta be able to fix stuff if it breakes, so I need tubes and tools. (Yes I'm Tubeless)

What if I break?  gotta have some first aid stuff.

Food?  Oh yea!  for me, I'll need probably 250-300 calories per 20 miles.

I wish I didnt, but Im gonna have to sleep,  so I need a sleeping bag, sleeping Pad, and a tarp. (minimum)

Might do a little night riding, so Ill be needing at least 8 hours of bright light.

Don't wanna get lost, so Ill be needing that Garmin with extra battery packs, and the invaluable que sheet.

Hygiene?  Im a guy, and can go a long time without brushing my teeth,  but it kind-of grosses me out.  So, I'll be bringing along some of that stuff along with a pack towel to get the salt & sweat off of my body before sliding into my overly expensive sleeping bag.

 So basically thats what it boils down to,  but somehow the detailed list is always a TON longer.



No comments:

Post a Comment